How to remove Windows Maintenance Guard
Someone I know recently called me with Windows Maintenance Guard locking down their computer. It's more a less a super annoying virus that attempts coerce you into buying their software to protect your PC.
Basically Windows Maintenance Guard will run on screen if you try to launch Internet Explorer, Task Manager, Regedit, etc. I didn't try command prompt, but I'm sure it would too.
Basically I had the computer reboot into Safe Mode with Networking, from there I was able to connect to, http://join.me/, using Internet Explorer, but I had to run it by searching for "iexplore" in the Start Menu. From there I was able to remote into the PC. Then I had to upload RKill to my Dropbox Public folder. From there I could download and run RKill. I attempted to download RKill directly from http://bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/, but Windows Maintenance Guard immediately kills Internet Explorer at that point. So, that's why I used Dropbox to download and run RKill.
RKill successfully killed the virus that was running which then let me go download MalwareBytes and start it running. I haven't finished this virus removal yet, but from what I've read, MalwareBytes should take care of the rest.
:(
No comments:
Post a Comment